The potatoes omelette (tortilla de patatas), also known as Spanish omelette or Spanish tortilla, is one of the most typical dishes of the gastronomy of Spain. Rare is the bar that does not have among its tapas a good tortilla de patatas. It is a simple but tasty dish, which is prepared mainly with potatoes and egg, although you can include onion too (it gives some extra creaminess and freshness to this dish).
- Preparation time: 10 minutes;
- Cooking time: 25 minutes;
- Cooking difficulty: Low – medium;
- Calories per portion (300 g): 480.
When it comes to cutting the potatoes, you can choose to laminate them finely or cut them into cubes of different thicknesses. It is up to you to decide how much this ingredient should influence the taste of your Spanish omelette. In any case, pay attention to the oil you use! We highly recommend using extra-virgin olive oil; this ingredient is key for the flavor of the Spanish omelette, so the higher the quality, the better!
Ingredients for a nice Spanish omelette (4 to 5 people)
- Potatoes – 5 large units (1 kg / 2.2 lb);
- Onion – 1 large unit (optional);
- Eggs – 5 units;
- Extra virgin olive oil – for frying;
- Salt – a pinch should be enough, although the quantity of salt is up to your tastes.
Recipe of the “Spanish tortilla” or “Potatoes omelette”
- First, we peel and slice the onion (remember that onion is optional in the Spanish omelette!). The choice of the type of cut depends on the taste of each person. If you want to find pieces of onion in the omelette while eating it, you should cut it in thick pieces; if you prefer to make the onion go unnoticed, then just chop it finely.
- When the onion has been chopped, poach it in a frying pan with a bit of olive oil. While you cook the onion, peel and cut the potatoes in pieces of the thickness that you prefer, so it is fine if you just want to cut them in thin slices.
- Heat plenty of oil in a frying pan. As soon as the oil reaches a suitable temperature for frying, add the potato pieces that you cut before. Cook them until the potato pieces are tender, but preferably without browning.
- When the onion is tender, remove it from the frying pan and place it in a large bowl and set it aside. In the same way, when the potatoes are tender, remove them from the frying pan and put them in a drainer to remove the excess oil. Once this is done, add the potato pieces to the bowl with the onion.
- In another bowl, beat the eggs with a pinch of salt. Once beaten, pour the eggs into the bowl where we have the potatoes and onion. If you want you can also add a little more salt. Afterwards mix all these ingredients in the bowl.
- Heat a little oil in a nonstick frying pan with a diameter of approximately 24 centimeters (from 9 to 10 inches). Pour the contents of the bowl into this frying pan. Cook them for a few minutes with a medium heat intensity.
- With the help of a plate, turn the omelette and pour it again into the frying pan in order to cook the side of the omelette which is still raw. Continue cooking for a few more minutes on this other side. If desired, you can flip the Spanish tortilla several times to better control the cooking process. Once the Spanish potatoes omelette is browned on both sides, pour it over a plate and serve.
- ¡Buen provecho!